It is the ideal time of the year to be using tomatoes. The combination with beautiful mozzarella and fresh basil is delicious.
Pinch of saffron
Couple of tablespoons of white wine
About 100g all purpose flour (extra flour for dusting)
2 large balls of best quality mozzarella
2 cups of homemade coarse Breadcrumbs
Teaspoon of freshly picked thyme, roughly chopped
Pinch of dried chilli
Approx 1 litre of vegetable oil
Extra virgin olive oil
Freshly cracked pepper
Small handful each of purple and green basil, washed
About 6-8 different varieties of tomatoes
- Infuse the saffron with 2 tablespoons of white wine in a little bowl.
- After a couple of minutes slowly stir in the flour with a fork until you have a nice thick and smooth batter.
- Add the picked thyme and dried chili to the breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and place them in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of best quality balsamic and your favourite cold pressed olive oil and set aside for a moment.
- Tear each ball of mozzarella into quarters and then roll through the flour.
- Roll the mozzarella in the saffron batter and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the vegetable oil in pot large enough to comfortably hold the crumbed mozzarella, once the oil is hot gently fry the crumbed mozzarella until they are golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
- Tear the fried mozzarella in half so the cheese really oozes out and arrange them on a plate, toss the basil through the tomatoes and scatter them around the mozzarella and serve immediately with a little freshly cracked pepper.